Forgive yourself and let go of any anger within you. Then you will see others with positive perspective







Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Shahadah at the traffic light

I studied for my bachelor degree in the US. Almost half of the town residents are students all over the world. I am one of the fortunate malaysian students to go there.

Being a malaysian muslim there was not easy. Luckily in the middle of the town, there is a muslim center which becomes a mosque and a place for muslims to gather for discussions, studies, functions and many others islamic events. I always loved to be in that place especially during Ramadhan. I will post one memory about that center someday.

What I would like to share was one amazing occassion happened during my study. I was walking alone that day. That afternoon was really nice and cool. I usually went to town to buy books or personal things. Since my rented house was just nearby, walking was best for me and my roommates. I walked towards one junction, when one woman stopped me. She was a student too. We greeted each other, and I smiled at her happily. We talked for a while when she suddenly mentioned her intentions to be a muslim. I was shocked. Didn't know what to say. I kept asking her few times whether I heard it right. She adamantly said she wanted to be a muslim. She liked to see me and few other malaysian muslims behaved, wore proper clothes (baju kurongs!!) and be in group. I asked to go to the muslim center, but she wanted to learn to say the key words to be a muslim. Then I realized what she meant. She wanted to say 'Syahadah'. Under the sky and very nice afternoon, and near the traffic light, I taught her to say the 'Syahadah'. We didn't care about the passer-by. When finished, she held my hands tightly and said many thanks. I reminded her to go to muslim center to learn more. And we parted our ways. My heart filled with joy on my way home.

How easy to be a muslim in the US. Your choice there and then. Declare on your own. As easy as to be a muslim, it is also easy to convert to other religions too.. That's US. Open-minded and free country.

Alhamdullilah, at least at that time, Allah blessed one more non-muslim to be under His Guidance.

No comments: